Sunday, November 14, 2010

"The Circuit"




Francisco Jimenez wrote “The Circuit” story. This story was based on Francisco Jimenez’s life. His family and he used to live in El Rancho Blanco, Mexico.  It was small town. In their culture, papa is the “boss” in the family because he is responsible of everything. However, they decided to cross the border from Mexico into California for a better life. Because his papa wanted a decent job, so they can have a nice house with electricity and running water. They actually crossed La Frontera border in between of Mexico and California. On their way to Fresno, they had stopped at the labor camp and were approached by one of the worker, the worker spoke English to them, and it turned out that no one who can speak English. When they were living in California for a while, their dreams did not come true because they thought that they would be living in a dreamland.  Fortunately, they were told by the worker to go to see a person named Sullivan, to ask him if there were any available job. They got offered and worked all day in the strawberry fields. When the strawberries were out of season, they would must to move and to find a job in cottons fields. The boy’s mama cooked delicious meals for them. Papa and the boy usually worked in the morning, 5am. When the boy was done with the job, he went straight to the school. The boy had been struggled with family and school. He was illiterate but he found time to start being comfortable in school with the teacher who worked with him everyday.  It helped him to be successful by reading and writing a book a lot.  

However, this story is similar to my parent’s life because we are Hispanic and they crossed the border to live in a dreamland. My parent actually got lousy jobs right after they got in California. My mom used to work for McDonald and dad used to work for Trader Joes as cashiers. I was been struggled with school because I don’t know how to read and write English.  Even worse, I am deaf.  My dad was the “boss” because he made us to work everyday.  My mom decided to divorce him because of being “boss” in the family.  I grew up in Los Angeles that’s where my family decided to stay down there.  My counselor, Jerome, helped me in many things because he was my role model. I learned a lot from him. He was deaf also.

No comments:

Post a Comment