Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Learning my Native Language"


When I read that story, I can understand that Susan Stocker have been living through the difficult times. So do I. Because my family is hearing, they want me to take a speech lesson at public school in Inglewood, California. I am severe hard of hearing if I am using hearing aids. I can hear the noises such as airplanes, lawnmower, voice and more. My decent speech therapist was pressuring me to learn the spoken-language. But I couldn't, something that I am not proud of. I told my mom, that I am not happy with the speech therapist because she doesn’t let me to sign. And she hit my hands with the ruler. My mom decided to take me out away from that school. I remembered those old days, My mom and I went to visit the oral-school in Missouri to see if I am capable to learn there. In that moment, it was scary for me because if my mom chose that school, we would have to move there far away from my family. I am so bond with my family. When I was three old years, my hard of hearing brother was born, our father left in the next day. I asked my mom where did my dad go? She with the frowning face claimed that he doesn’t love us anymore. I thought it was just because of my disability, but my mom suddenly changed her attitude after she met Terrylene Sacchetti. She found a job and send me to the deaf school in Riverside to learn the American Sign Language until I became seventh grade, send me to University High school to study my college-prep subjects. After I graduated that school, I attended to Gallaudet University. So Susan does, she was a student for Gallaudet University.

The poem of Christopher Jon Heuer, it talked about between his dad and him living in the world not fully comprehended by the other. I felt that the same way of my dad. My dad did not know how to finger-spell an alphabetize order or sign. I feel no love for him because he was almost never trying to communicate me. I still do not know his age or biography. My dad just gave me the shelter and foods, that was at the least he could help. I felt like I am in another world, my dad is in another world. We are not the same.
I also read the story about Margie English. Their parents had found out that they had a Deaf daughter. They felt so much joy. But my parent did not joy when they found out that I am hard of hearing. My mom changed her attitude after she met Terrylene Sacchetti, she was influencing to my mom about the deaf culture and Gallaudet University. I don't blame them because they were not educated about deaf culture. Now, my family is aware with deaf cultures, and loves me so much in no matter what. I am just wondering, how did Margie English get so successful in her life? Does she happy being a student in Gallaudet University?

2 comments:

  1. Wow this is definitely a great blog. You explained your background on each of the story line, and it impacted you pretty much when you're reading those and it gives you flashbacks, which is something nice and something bad to remember about. I think overall, this blog is great, I see great points in each paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. apparently we are on the same boat for having a hearing parents. beautifully done! you explained what is the constract of yourself to one of three short stories. I am impressed. well organize too!

    ReplyDelete